Top 10 New Features:
1. Get started with Sketchpad more quickly with the new Learning Center. Accessed via the Help menu, the Learning Center provides step-by-step tutorials, classroom-ready activities for elementary through calculus, videos, a library of student-friendly tips in comic and video format, and articles to give you inspiration and ideas for integrating Sketchpad into your classroom.
2. Make presentations clear and effective with Hot Text®, dynamically linking captions and the objects they describe. Simply click an object to insert its mathematically-formatted notation into a caption. Then hover over or click on the Hot Text to highlight the referenced object. Hot Text helps you deliver clear explanations in written and oral presentations.
3. Enhance explanations with powerful notation capabilities. Use the new Marker tool to draw angle markers, congruency marks, and parallel arrows. Also enhance the use of interactive whiteboards by handwriting text or circling parts of your sketch for emphasis, or make a freehand drawing that you can then transform mathematically.
4. Customize the appearance and improve the readability of Sketchpad sketches with expanded line weight, line stroke, and point size options. This allows for age- and device-appropriate sizing and styling of objects. The layout and display of mathematical expressions is also improved—you can use mathematical italicization in labels, measurements, calculations, and equations, and add Greek symbols, multiple or nested subscripts in labels, and other mathematical notation.
5. Engage students by letting them import and mathematically transform any image—import digital photographs or drag and drop images from a web page into a sketch. Pictures can then be reflected, rotated, dilated, attached to points, cropped to polygons, iterated, used in locus constructions, and more! Combine multiple transformations into a single custom transformation.
6. Increase algebra understanding by easily constructing families of functions and families of curves. Do more with functions by displaying a grid with trigonometric labels, creating and listening to dynamic audible functions, and graphing parametric functions. Also new, function plots and loci can be transformed and iterated, and intersections of function plots can be found.
7. Quickly see relationships between objects using the new Information tool—you can click on any object and see how it’s defined from other objects.
8. Do even more with geometry. Constructing polygons and their interiors is a snap with the new Polygon tool. You can also create angles in more ways:define an angle using two intersecting rays or segments, or define angles to be reflex angles greater than 180°, or trigonometric angles (ranging from –2π and 2π radians.
9. Improved speed and functionality for all your Version 4 sketches and activities. Sketchpad Version 5 supports Unicode and video game-quality graphics through a tenfold increase in data compression, high-performance graphics acceleration, and advanced data handling.
To see these features in action, watch the video “What’s New in Sketchpad 5.”
To read more about these and other new features, download Sketchpad 5 (trial or purchased version), open the Reference Center via the Help menu, and browse the What’s New chapter.