Our Face-to-Face Workshops prepare you and your colleagues to integrate The Geometer's Sketchpad®, Fathom Dynamic Data, or TinkerPlots® Dynamic Data Exploration software into your teaching. You can schedule workshops for one day or multiple days. Workshops are offered at the elementary, middle, and high school levels and address a wide range of mathematical concepts. Workshops are facilitated by experienced classroom teachers who offer practical suggestions for implementation.
In addition to learning basic to advanced techniques in Sketchpad, Fathom, or TinkerPlots, participants will focus on:
- Pedagogical issues of using technology to enhance students learning of mathematics
- Encouraging mathematical exploration through hands-on investigations and activitie
- How to manage a technology-enriched classroom environment
Professional development is now sold by McGraw-Hill Education. To arrange a workshop, contact a sales representative.
The goal of these workshops is to support you in using Sketchpad to help your students learn mathematics more effectively and deeply. During these workshops, you will examine and work on Sketchpad activities that address important topics in the mathematics you teach. These activities are representative of the broader range of mathematical tasks and explorations that can be enhanced with Sketchpad.
You will learn and master a number of important Sketchpad skills. The workshop will also address these issues:
- How can Sketchpad improve the way students learn math?
- How can Sketchpad help students learn more deeply?
- How can you use Sketchpad most effectively with your students?
One- and three-day Sketchpad workshops are available for high school, middle school, and elementary school.
Fathom is the perfect tool for making data analysis easy and abstract concepts meaningful for students in grade 8 through college. At a Fathom workshop, you'll use dynamic visualization techniques to understand statistical ideas, investigate real-world data sets, make mathematical models, fit curves, and write functions to transform data.
During this workshop, you will examine and experience activities that address important topics in algebra, advanced algebra, and data analysis. These activities are representative of the broader range of mathematical tasks and explorations your students can experience with Fathom.
- Learn the basic tools of Fathom
- Delve into a variety of mathematical concepts using Fathom
- Develop plans for implementing Fathom in the classroom
TinkerPlots software is specifically designed to get students in grades 4–8 excited about what they can learn from data. You'll use TinkerPlots to investigate new ways to introduce, reinforce, and extend geometry concepts, algebraic thinking, and data analysis skills.
Sharpen Your Skills:
- Experience projects that involve all the strands of the mathematics curriculum and interdisciplinary units
- Make your own graphs that help you pose and answer questions about group differences and relationships
- Discuss methods of maximizing the impact of technology, classroom management, and appropriate assessment techniques