Address content standards and support the Standards for Mathematical Practice in visual, compelling ways with The Geometer’s Sketchpad. The Common Core State Standards recommend the use of Dynamic Geometry® software, which we pioneered with Sketchpad.
Mathematically proficient students consider the available tools when solving a mathematical problem. These tools might include pencil and paper, concrete models, a ruler, a protractor, a calculator, a spreadsheet, a computer algebra system, a statistical package, or dynamic geometry software.
-Common Core State Standards
Students increase their mathematical confidence and proficiency, both by building their own constructions and by using pre-built models to test conjectures, see patterns, and explore boundary cases.
“Using The Geometer’s Sketchpad in my classroom has brought cohesiveness to the curriculum, connecting concepts in algebra, geometry, and beyond. This has encouraged the students to seek out the meaning behind the math.”
-Kelly Anne Stidham, Conner High School, Hebron, KY
Sketchpad gives students the tools to:
- Visualize mathematical concepts at all levels—from place value to limits—through accessible and manipulatable models
- Explore number properties using models that support pattern recognition, generalization, and justification
- Develop algebraic habits of mind by dragging objects or changing parameters and observing results that reveal functional dependencies—thus revealing mathematical structure
- Devise and test formulas using Sketchpad's Calculator, vital for checking mathematical models and formalizing repeated reasoning
- Create and manipulate dynamic constructions that give students a tangible connection to geometric shapes and their properties
- Construct and explore translations, reflections, rotations, and dilations—essential skills given the emphasis on transformational geometry in the middle and high school geometry standards in the Common Core
- Communicate mathematical arguments with easy-to-use presentation tools
Sketchpad Activity Modules
Classroom-tested activities help you address Common Core topics from Grade 3 through High School while supporting the Mathematical Practices.
We can work directly with the teachers in your district to support the integration of Common Core content and technology tools that support the Mathematical Practices.