Data analysis and modeling are now integral components of high school courses and the Common Core State Standards. Fathom provides a dynamic, visually compelling environment for students to meet these standards as they explore, analyze, and model data.
In addition to helping students understand algebra, precalculus, and statistics, Fathom’s powerful data analysis capabilities make it an excellent tool for the physical and biological sciences, as well as for social science courses.
Click on the Try It button above to download the free trial version of Fathom, which allows you to preview the software for 20-minute sessions.
You and your students can use Fathom with an interactive whiteboard, in a classroom with a single computer and projector, in a computer lab, or at home. Use Fathom's dynamic tools to:
- Quickly represent data in a variety of graphs, including bar charts, scatter plots, function plots, and histograms
- Plot values and functions on top of bivariate data and vary them dynamically with sliders to show the effects of variables
- Build simulations that illuminate concepts of probability and statistics
- Demonstrate standard statistical analyses, including multiple linear regression
- Set up populations and sample from them repeatedly to get a feel for the sampling process, and create sampling distributions of any statistic
Fathom is incredibly useful for quickly simulating statistical concepts that students have already simulated by hand. The interactivity and graphics capabilities of Fathom really make statistical ideas come alive for my students and me. —Zack Bigner, Elkins High School, Missouri City, TX
Explore the extensive resources, many of them free, that support you in learning how to use Fathom and incorporating it into your curriculum.
Free webinars give you fresh ideas for using Fathom. To go deeper, you can take a six-week moderated online course or request a face-to-face workshop for your school or district.