A number of independent institutions have developed professional development resources for The Geometer’s Sketchpad. A listing here does not imply endorsement by McGraw-HIll Education.
Courses for Academic Credit
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Dynamic Geometry with Geometer's Sketchpad is an independent course for users with some Sketchpad familiarity, that can be taken for 1 graduate semester hour or 3 CEUs. It is available for Sketchpad Version 4 only.
Online Professional Development Resources
- Annenberg/CPB: Introduction to Geometer's Sketchpad is a lesson series for teachers on using Sketchpad.
- Atomic Learning: The Geometer's Sketchpad Training is a series of videos teaching how to use features of Sketchpad Version 4.
- Rice University, Rice University School Mathematics Project: Geometry Module is a training module aimed at supporting teachers in developing a deeper understanding of the Texas TEKS Geometry standards. Much of the module uses Sketchpad sketches.
- From the United Kingdom, these videos feature dynamic geometry theory and classroom practice:
- Demonstrating Dynamic Geometry. For KS3/4 students (age 11-14). Math specialist and teacher, Carol Knights, demonstrates how dynamic geometry software can transform the teaching of mathematical concepts. Students can be engaged through interactive demonstrations, constructions, and explorations.
- Hard to Teach. Secondary Mathematics. At Henry Cort Community College it’s not just the math department that teaches quadratic functions--teachers from the PE, design technology, science, and IT departments work together with their math counterparts to teach the subject in a way that interests students… and they incorporate Sketchpad.
- Teachers and students have created and posted to YouTube hundreds of videos using Sketchpad.